Note the only thing here I haven't blogged yet is the camp diorama. Given the scale, I made up my mind not to do an actually "camp" as such. I opted instead to represent a sort of fortified position. This is built around the gripping beast artillery piece that I had little use for in the end. I didn't actually unbase it though. Just built the camp around it using thin modelling foam and filler.
A few modelling points about the camp.
- The banners turned out well but didn't photograph that good. I used a linen based product that you can put through any inkjet printer. I then frayed the edges with a pin and added a quick wash to make them look older.
- The base was made using thin sheet foam which was cut into a multilevel hill. I then coated in cheap filler and attached the figures with "hard as nails" adhesive.
- Grit/small stones were then added with PVA and painted/drybrushed with raw umber.
- The stakes are toothpicks and the figures are a mixture of Warlord games, Musketeer miniatures, gripping beast and crusader.
Those who follow my blog and have a good eye may have noticed something different about my cavalry - more on that next time.
The Camp ...
the mastif has spotted a mule bringing supplies - the figure itself looked curious
The Whole Army ...
Click on below picture for close up of the heavy infantry
Gothic style Bucellarii cavalry - to be used as cataphactii in this list
Foundry make good lights/archers due to their smaller stature
Bows Strung with brush bristles
My archers are based in a single rank - this allows be to field them as independant units or supporting sagitarii, to the rear of the heavy foot.
Click below for a nice view of the cavalry to the right.